Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not My Will, But Yours Be Done, Part 2.

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How inscrutable are his judgments and how unsearchable his ways!
"For who has known the mind of the Lord or who has been his counselor?"  Romans 11: 33-34


It is certainly not I, although as mentioned before I usually give it my best shot. Still, the questions remains: How do we reconcile our situation with what God has planned for us? The truth is, we may only realize what His plan actually is years down the road or perhaps not even in this lifetime. But how does that bring us any solace? 

When Peter almost drowns while attempting to walk on water, Jesus chastises him by saying "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" (Mt. 14: 31) I can imagine Jesus saying the same thing to me - probably daily. I'm sure all of the Apostles heard the same thing at the end of their earthly lives. After the Resurrection, they probably had it all planned out. The Lord was back from the dead and would lead them into the Kingdom here on earth. But wait, He was leaving them again? This can't be; That's not how it was supposed to go down.

Our Lord's plan was beyond the understanding of even his closest followers.What unfolded was much more grand than any of them could imagine. It was no coincidence that at Pentecost, Jerusalem was filled with devout Jews from every nation. (Acts 2: 5)  There was a purpose in God choosing that exact moment. The Apostles spent three years with Jesus listening, learning, and witnessing many miracles. They had the benefit of first hand knowledge of all he said and did yet the day before the descent of the Spirit, they were cowering in the upper room, probably discussing whether they should all go their separate ways and find salvation elsewhere. Had they paid attention to anything? Do we?

1 comment:

  1. I have heard this time and time again-am I doing the right thing? Not only from friends and family but my own self. I feel my thoughts drifting during the day, often times asking "why isn't this working?" It is difficult to answer because we do not see the "big picture" and think something is wrong. Although we have free will there is also God's plan. I think many of us take "free will" to mean that we are in charge, 100%, and control our destiny. We need to remember and recognize God's role in our lives and that He knows what's best for us always.

    ReplyDelete