Saturday, March 1, 2014

Facing the Deserts of Lent

Lent is only a few short days away and I'm not ready.

I now believe my parents when they told me that time does go by faster as you get older but I'm sure that having children is the biggest accelerator. I can't believe how fast they grow and change...just like I can't believe I haven't written on this blog since Advent 2012! Then, we were expecting our 6th child, now Gabriella Marie is just about walking.





Looking forward, it always seems like there is so much time ahead of you but then it's gone. I'll admit to being somewhat of a procrastinator so this is something I experience often. Usually, it's something that needed to get done yesterday. We'll, I still have 4 days before Lent starts; that's plenty of time. I am signed up for a men's retreat next Saturday so there's one thing in the plus column for me.

Of course Lent is not just about giving things up. It's also about positive additions to out lives and gaining strength from our daily trials to help overcome those struggles rather than escaping. Jesus knew is ministry would be difficult and end in a most difficult and painful way. He prepared for this by spending forty days fasting in the desert.

I get weekly email devotional from the Daughters of St. Paul.  Today's reflection was about spending time in the desert this Lent. Not the Mojave of course, but the reflecting on the 3 deserts in our lives where Jesus remains with us. The first is when we reflect on His suffering and death whether we pray the stations of the across or read a passion narrative. The second is living and accepting our own suffering and therefore remaining in the desert and being united with Jesus. The third, is recognizing the suffering others through prayer, solidarity, and actions.

How will you remain in the desert with Jesus this Lent?




1 comment:

  1. To remain in the dessert with Jesus, I deleted apps from my phone that I feel have become idols in my life and have been trying to replace the time I would spend using those apps with spending time with Jesus. In the morning, I have been using the Little Black Book, which has been one of my favorite changes. I'll have to check out the email devotional from the Daughters of St. Paul for when my Little Black Book is over at Easter.

    ReplyDelete