Monday, September 3, 2012

Fruits of Their Labor

The LORD said to Abram: Go forth from your land, your relatives, and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you.  (Genesis 12:1)

I came across this retro-tourism video today on Facebook. It chronicles the growth of my home city of Fall River from a small agrarian town to one of the largest producers of cotton textiles in the world in the 19th century. (Thank you to the Fall River History Club.
The Fabric of Fall River

It portrays the arrival of many immigrant communities with the promise of prosperity working in the mills.  My family is French-Canadian and thats exactly why many of them came here. Like Abraham, they left everything they knew to travel to what they perceived as the Promised Land. Over time they built the communities we have today from houses to shops, and espicially magnificent churches, Being Labor Day today, let's reflect one the struggles and sacrifice our grandparents and great-grandparents made. They had faith in God's Providence (Mt. 6:25-34) so that they and their progeny could have a better life. I know I'm thankful.

Be blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment